In a few days it will be Valentine’s Day which is also my one-year anniversary with doTERRA so I thought I’d love on some people who’ve changed my life and continue to help me become a better person. To protect the innocent I will not be naming names. By “protect the innocent” I mean “protect myself” because I’ll probably leave someone out and I’ll cry if I accidentally make any of my oil network mad.
I’ve written before about how important having a support network is to me and I also write often about how much I love essential oils, but I want to share about why I particularly choose to use doTERRA essential oils. doTERRA is not the only company that sells pure essential oils that are safe to ingest, and I don’t even think they are the cheapest pure essential oils on the market, but if I hadn’t fallen into doTERRA a year ago I never would have met the inspirational people that I work with. You see, doTERRA is a commission-based business. Competition can be fierce and I am fiercely competitive. If I’m pushing for a goal I will do whatever it takes (within reason) to get what I want. It’s something that makes me a phenomenal lawyer but probably a horrible co-worker.
This is where my doTERRA peeps come in. These are people with true business savvy who are making a living in direct sales and I don’t think I have to tell you that’s not easy. But what makes them so inspirational isn’t just their professional success, it’s that they do it with a level of integrity that is rare to see in the business world. When it’s the last week of the month and I have tunnel vision and all I want to do is reach my next goal, these women will come to me, without me even asking, and remind me that (1) they are proud of me no matter what; and (2) there’s always next month. They remind me to forgo my commission – which means they will forgo their commission – so that I can build a business the way I want without feeling some self-imposed sense of panic that I’m not doing it fast enough or big enough or successfully enough.
If I tried to write everything I love about my oil mentors I’d be writing for a long time. So here’s the highlight reel:
- Grounding – There’s a great book and TED Talk by Simon Sinek about how leaders inspire others to take action and as far as I can tell every single one of my oil mentors have read it. No matter what is going on with my business, they always remind me that if I focus on why I’m doing this, then everything else will fall into place. And it always does.
- Education – Do you know how I know that lavender oil is an antihistamine or myrrh helps reduce the appearance of wrinkles? Because someone told me. And I’m glad to know these things!
- Friendship – I probably should have put this first because it’s really the thing I love most about my oil mentors. They are friends! And we can always have more of those.
- Encouragement – Despite all that talk about my “why” I do still have to do work and sometimes I just don’t want to. Sometimes sharing oils is exhausting and those are the times I reach out to my peeps and whine and moan and they help me get past it.
- Brainstorming – I do this for fun and to help people. Period. I have no interest in driving my friends crazy constantly asking them to buy, sell, host, whatever. So I like to think outside the box and find ways to meet new people and share the world of oils. The more brains involved in this, the better.
So, that’s all I have to say about that. I’m just so grateful to be learning from people with these values and skills. To those of you in my essential oil circle who are reading this, I’m talking about you and I haven’t left any of you out so you can’t get mad at me. To those of you who want to be in my essential oil circle, shoot me an email!
Also, my poor husband would like me to add here that I love him too. Happy Valentine’s Day!