If you’ve ever been on the Internet, read a magazine, or watched an infomercial, then you know that there are a million advertisements and advice columns about how eating right and exercising will lead to a “new and slimmer you.” While this may be true, it’s also entirely misleading – not all diets are safe and not every exercise is for everyone. Rather than join the ranks of the traditional food and exercise columns, I’m going to share with you 8 reasons you should eat right and exercise that have nothing to do with the scale. That’s right, readers – healthy habits have other perks and here’s why you should be adopting them:
- Your complexion will improve – In particular, salmon, extra-virgin olive oil, green tea, and WATER may help improve your skin.
- You’ll have more energy – Imagine how many more books you could read if you had boundless energy!
- It helps prevent Alzheimer’s – Start now! Keeping your body and mind robust and active throughout your entire life is the best way to control your destiny when it comes to diseases like Alzheimer’s. Exercise is so awesome, it can even improve Alzheimer’s symptoms in people who already have the disease. Don’t believe me? Check out this study from the University of Maryland!
- Your mobility will increase – This might not seem all that important to you now, but you will thank your past self when you’re 70.
- You’ll have more confidence – Which leads to better jobs, better relationships, better…everything!
- You’ll sleep better – Sleeping well, in turn, has a positive effect on your fitness, which helps you sleep better, which has a positive effect on your fitness, which…..
- You’ll have fewer back problems – Strengthening your core (the muscles that make up your lower back and abdomen) creates a sturdy link between your upper and lower body. This means less back pain, as well as better posture and balance.
- You can open jars by yourself – Think of the independence!